A chicken fricassee where pieces of chicken are cooked in a creamy sauce with sliced carrots, chopped onions and sliced mushrooms, served garnished with bacon rolls and parsley.
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 110g/4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- bouquet garni*
- salt and pepper
- 50g/2 oz butter
- 50g/2 oz flour
- 4 rashers streaky bacon/side bacon, rinded and rolled
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp double cream/whipping cream
- juice of ½ lemon (1½ tablespoons)
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- *In Canada these little bags of bouquet garni aren’t available so I make my own. Traditionally, thyme, parsley stalks and bay leaf are wrapped in a small piece of muslin and tied to make a sack.
- To serve
- Seasonal green vegetables
- Place the chicken, onion, carrots, mushrooms, bouquet garni and seasoning in a pan and cover with water. Bring slowly to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, strain off the stock and reserve.
- Cut the chicken into cubes and set to one side.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to high.
- Over a medium heat melt the butter in a separate pan. Reduce the heat and add the flour, stirring to form a paste (a roux). Cook for 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Measure off 600ml/20 fl oz/1 pint of the reserved stock and gradually stir it into the roux until smooth. Bring to the boil and continue to stir until the sauce thickens.
- Reduce the heat, add the chicken and vegetables and heat through, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill/broil the bacon rolls until crisp on the outside.
- In a small bowl, blend the egg yolk and cream together. Stir a little of the sauce into the mixture and blend until smooth. Add the mixture to the sauce and stir through, being careful not to let the sauce boil. Then stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve the fricassee garnished with the bacon rolls and chopped parsley.