A tasty way of serving fish that is quick to prepare and just right for a summer supper. A thick fillet of sole is grilled/broiled smothered in tiny broccoli florets and a cheesy sauce until the sauce is bubbling and golden.
Gratin of Sole with Broccoli
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 170 g (6 oz) broccoli florets (a medium head of broccoli)
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter (3 tbsp, or ³⁄₈ stick)
- 40 g (1½ oz) flour (⅓ cup)
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) milk (1¼ cups)
- 115 g (4 oz) cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 large sole fillets, each weighing about 170g (6 oz)
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- butter for greasing
- 28 g (1 oz) Parmesan, grated (¼ cup)
- cayenne pepper
- Baby new potatoes
- You will also need a vegetable steamer and a large baking tray/sheet.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to high.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, trimming and discarding the stems. Then separate the florets into 1cm (½ inch) chunks. Steam for about 2 minutes, until just tender. Remove the steamer from the pan and set to one side.
- Now melt the butter in a small pan add the flour.. Stir until smooth. Let this cook gently over a low heat for 1–2 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute, which will then make it easier to blend into the roux. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until there is a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, bring the sauce to the boil, and then stir over a gentle heat until it thickens.
- Remove from the heat and vigorously stir in the cheese until it has melted and blended into the sauce. (Just use the heat of the sauce to melt the cheese. Don’t put the pan over heat on the stove as this will make the cheese go oily.) Set to one side.
- Next season the fish and then sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Grease the baking tray and place under the grill/broiler for 1 minute to heat up.
- Lay the fish on the hot tray in a single layer. They will sizzle as they touch the hot baking tray/sheet.
- With the grill/broiler rack 7.5cm (3 inches) from the heat, cook the fish for just 3 minutes and then remove.
- Meanwhile, carefully spoon the broccoli into the cheese sauce to evenly distribute the florets. Spoon over the fish and then sprinkle the grated Parmesan.
- Put the fish back under the grill/broiler and cook for a further 4 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and beginning to turn golden.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cayenne pepper over each piece of fish and serve immediately.
Updated July 18, 2019