A tasty way of serving fish that is quick to prepare and just right for a summer supper. A thick fillet of sole is grilled/broiled smothered in tiny broccoli florets and a cheesy sauce until the sauce is bubbling and golden.
Gratin of Sole with Broccoli
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 35 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 170g (6 oz) broccoli florets (a medium head of broccoli)
- 40g (1½ oz) butter (3 tbsp, or ⅜ stick)
- 40g (1½ oz) flour (¼ cup)
- 300ml (10 fl oz) milk (1¼ cups)
- 115g (4 oz) cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 4 large sole fillets, each weighing about 170g (6 oz)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- butter for greasing
- 28g (1 oz) Parmesan, grated (¼ cup)
- cayenne pepper
- Serving suggestion
- Baby new potatoes
- You will also need a vegetable steamer and a large baking tray/sheet.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to high.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the head of the broccoli and then trim and discard the stems. Separate into 1cm (½ inch) chunks and then steam for about 2 minutes until just tender. Remove the steamer from the pan and set to one side.
- Now melt the butter in a small pan and then add the flour and stir until smooth. Let this cook gently over a low heat for 1–2 minutes, until it starts to bubble.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in the microwave for 1 minute, which will make it easier to blend into the roux. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring continuously until there is a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, bring the sauce to the boil and stir until it has thickened.
- Now remove from the heat and vigorously stir in the cheese until it has melted and blended into the sauce. (Just use the heat of the sauce to melt the cheese. Don’t put the pan over heat on the stove as this will make the cheese go oily.) Set to one side.
- Season the fish and then sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Grease the baking tray/sheet and place under the grill/broiler for 1 minute to heat up.
- Now lay the fish on the tray/sheet in a single layer. They will sizzle as they touch the hot baking tray/sheet.
- With the grill/broiler rack 7.5cm (3 inches) from the heat, cook the fish for just 3 minutes and then remove.
- Carefully spoon the broccoli into the cheese sauce to evenly distribute the florets. Now spoon this over the fish and then sprinkle the grated Parmesan on top.
- Put the fish back under the grill/broiler and cook for a further 4 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and beginning to turn golden.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cayenne pepper over each piece of fish and serve immediately.
Updated September 11, 2018