An easy one-dish chicken meal. A layer of chunks of chicken and pieces of ham, with baby spinach in a creamy cheese sauce, topped with diced potatoes.
Chicken and Ham Savoury
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ onion
- 1 carrot, cut into large chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 675g (1½ lb) potatoes, cut into even sized pieces (about 5 medium)
- 115g (4 oz) cooked ham, diced
- 340g (12 oz) baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 28g (1 oz) butter (2 tbsp, or ¼ stick)
- 28g (1 oz) flour (3 tbsp)
- 150ml (5 fl oz) milk (⅔ cup)
- 150ml (5 fl oz) hot chicken stock (⅔ cup)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 150ml (5 fl oz) single/table cream (⅔ cup)
- 85g (3 oz) Gruyère cheese, grated (¾ cup)
- 1.5 litre/2½ pint (6 cup) ovenproof dish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6).
- Put the chicken, onion, carrot and bay leaf into a pan and cover with water. Bring the water to the boil, then cover the pan and gently simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken and discard the water and vegetables.
- Blanch the potatoes in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, dice into 1cm (½ inch) cubes.
- Dice the chicken and put into a large bowl along with the ham and spinach. Toss to mix, then spread over the base of the ovenproof dish.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat. Turn the heat down and quickly stir in the flour and mix to a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk and stock, stirring continuously until there is a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a further 2–3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sauce begins to thicken. Remove from the heat. Add the seasoning, cream and cheese and beat well.
- Pour half the sauce over the chicken mixture. Spread the cubed potato over the top, then spoon the rest of the sauce over.
- Bake above the centre of the oven for 40 minutes until the potato is tender and has started to brown.
- Serve with a salad or seasonal vegetables.
Updated: November 7, 2017