- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 25–30 minutes
- 285 g (10 oz) plain flour/all-purpose flour (2¼ cups less 1 tbsp)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 140 g (5 oz) butter (⅔ cup)
- 200 g (7 oz) caster/superfine sugar (1 cup less 1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp very strong black coffee or coffee extract.
- 1 egg, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.)
- 284 ml carton buttermilk (1¼ cups less 1 tbsp)
- 200 g (7 oz) chocolate chips (1¼ cups)
- demerara sugar for sprinkling
- You will also need 2 muffin pans and 15 paper muffin cases.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4).
- Beat butter, caster sugar, and coffee together until very light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the egg.
- Now sift the flour, soda, and salt into a separate bowl.
- Then fold a third of the flour into the creamed mixture.
- Follow by adding a third of the buttermilk.
- Repeat twice more.
- Finally fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 25–30 minuets, until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle demerara sugar over the tops.
- Leave for two minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.