These are the most delectable cookies ever. An oatmeal cookie with sultanas and finely chopped pecans, decorated with chocolate swirls. A firm family favourite.
Tea Break Cookies
Prepares: About 20 cookies
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 115g (4 oz) butter, softened (½ cup, or 1 stick), plus extra to grease
- 115g (4 oz) light muscovado sugar/soft, light brown sugar (½ cup)
- 55g (2 oz) golden syrup* (¼ cup)
- 130g (4½ oz) plain flour/cake and pastry (1 cup)
- 1 egg, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), beaten
- 100g (3½ oz) jumbo porridge oats/large rolled oats (1¼ cups)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 85g/3 oz sultanas (½ cup + 1 tbsp)
- 85g/3 oz pecan halves, roughly chopped (⅔ cup)
- * Golden syrup isn’t readily available in North America. There are some supermarkets that sell it in Canada. Otherwise, I manage to get it in the small British stores that are around. The closest alternative would be runny honey. It is not quite as stiff as golden syrup, but close, and it does have some flavour too.
- To decorate
- 40g (1½ oz) plain/semi-sweet chocolate (6 pieces)
- 2 large baking trays/cookie sheets, lightly greased
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340°F) (gas 3)
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Separately, stir in the golden syrup and egg until combined.
- Fold in the flour, cinnamon and oats.
- Finally, gently fold through the sultanas and nuts.
- Put tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking trays. spacing them well apart, and bake for 12–15 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of just simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Once melted, set to one side to cool a little, about 10 minutes.
- Once the cookies have become cold, drizzle over the chocolate. This can be done either by using a spoon or by piping (use a piping bag with a small, plain nozzle). Leave the chocolate to set before storing in an airtight container.
Updated: April 6, 2017