Scrumptious, light and crumbly little rock cakes that are made with mixed fruits and spices.
Old Fashioned Rock Cakes
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 325 g (12 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour (2⅔ cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 170 g (6 oz) light brown sugar (⅔ cup)
- ¼ nutmeg, grated
- ½ tsp mixed spice, or pumpkin pie spice
- 170 g (6 oz) butter, softened (¾ cup, or 1½ sticks)
- 40 g (1½ oz) currants (⅓ cup)
- 40 g (1½ oz) sultanas (⅓ cup)
- 40 g (1½ oz) raisins (⅓ cup)
- 1 egg, large (U.K.)/ extra large (N.A.), beaten
- 1 –2 tbsp milk
- You will also need 2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, breaking up any lumps that cling together.
- Next mix in the spices.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Now stir through the dried fruits.
- Sprinkle the egg over the mixture and start to bind in, adding a little milk, as necessary, until a stiff dough has formed.
- Make 12 mounds of the dough on the baking sheets but do not smooth them out, the surface needs to look irregular.
- Bake in the oven for 18 minutes until they become golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.