Sirloin steak cut into strips and stir fried with red pepper, broccoli and carrots, served with a sauce over a bed of rice.
Beef Stir Fry with Vegetables
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 2 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 150ml (5 fl oz) water (⅔ cup)
- 284ml (10 oz) can condensed beef broth (Campbells)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 2 carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 450g (1 lb) sirloin steak, cut into strips
- To serve
- You will also need a 22.5cm (10 inch) deep frying pan/skillet.
- First, blend together the cornflour/cornstarch and water in a bowl. Stir in the beef broth and soy sauce, and then set aside.
- Deseed the pepper and cut into small chunks. Break the broccoli into small florets, discarding the stem. Peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- Place the pan over a medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of oil. When hot, add the vegetables and garlic, and stir to coat. Stir-fry until tender, about 5–8 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the other tablespoons of oil to the pan and, when hot, add the beef. Stir-fry for 2–4 minutes according to how well-done you like your steak. Turn frequently to brown on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add the reserved broth to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and stir until it thickens. Return the vegetables and meat to the pan, stirring through the sauce. Reheat for 1–2 minutes until everything is hot.
- Serve over a bed of rice.
Updated: April 4, 2018