Succulent chicken pieces with a spicy flour and cheese coating, cooked in butter in the oven and served with sautéed diced tomatoes and a creamy spice sauce.
Spicy Oven Chicken
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes, oven 25, hob 5
- 140 g (5 oz) butter (½ cup + 2 tbsp, or 1¼ sticks)
- 4 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder or chilli powder
- 4 chicken portions, breasts, legs or quarters, skins left on
- 6 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) chicken stock* (⅔ cup)
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) single cream (table cream) (⅔ cup)
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- *The sauce is enhanced by using a good stock. In Canada I can recommend ‘Better Than Bouillon’. It really makes a tasty stock and doesn’t contain a lot of additives. In the U.K. I would choose the organic range.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) (gas 6)
- Mix the flour, seasoning and curry or chilli powder together and spread on a plate. Spread the Parmesan cheese on a second plate.
- In a small roasting pan, melt 115g (4 oz) (½ cup, or 1 stick) of the butter in the oven. This will only take about 1 minute. Then remove.
- Turn the chicken pieces in the butter, shaking them a little when lifting to remove any excess butter. Coat in the flour mixture and then the cheese. Reserve remaining flour.
- Return the chicken to the pan in a singe layer, skin side down. Cover with foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, turn the chicken and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining 28g (1 oz) (2 tbsp) butter in a large frying pan/skillet. Add the tomatoes and cook over a medium heat. Shake the pan frequently to keep turning the tomatoes.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and keep warm while making the sauce.
- Mix the reserved flour into the buttery residue in the pan and stir well, scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan. Over a low heat, cook for 1 minute. Slowly blend in the chicken stock and then add the cream. Bring to the boil while continuing to stir and then simmer until the sauce has thickened as is smooth. This will only take a minute or two. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the chicken with the tomatoes and sauce.
- Chunky Home Fries go well with this dish.
Updated December 29, 2019