Chicken strips are marinated in lemon and then stir-fried with broccoli florets, carrot sticks and spring onions/green onions and tossed in soy sauce. It is served over a bed of rice and is just perfect for a summer dish.
Lemony Chicken Stir Fry
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Marinading time: 1–2 hours
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 450g (1 lb) boneless chicken breasts cut into strips (4)
- 1 lemon
- small head broccoli
- 340g (12 oz) carrots (6–8 medium)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 60ml (2 fl oz) water (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp clarified butter*
- 2 spring onions/green onions cut into 2.5cm/1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 1 tsp water
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- * To clarify butter, melt in a saucepan over a low heat. Skim off the clear liquid from the sediment that collects in the bottom. Discard sediment.
- To serve
- Large sauté pan with lid
- Place the chicken strips in a non-metallic bowl. Finely cut the rind from a quarter of the lemon and put to one side. Squeeze the juice from the whole lemon (this should produce 3 tablespoons). Pour the lemon juice over the chicken and season with pepper. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour.
- Cut or break the broccoli into small florets. Cut the carrots into 8cm (3 inch) batons.
- Heat the oil over a high heat and add the broccoli florets and carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the water, then cover and reduce the heat to medium. Steam for 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Make a well in the centre of the vegetables and add the butter, lemon rind, and onions.
- Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade, and add to the pan. Stir-fry for 6 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Combine the cornflour/cornstarch and water until smooth. Add to the pan along with the reserved lemon marinade and let it bubble for 1 minute until thickened.
- Stir in the soy sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve over a bed of rice.
Updated: August 30, 2017