This chicken dish just takes 20 minutes to cook – one to choose when time is short. The chicken breasts, chunky potatoes and garlic are sautéed in olive oil and butter until crisp and then covered in a white wine sauce.
Garlic Chicken and Crispy Potatoes
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: About 40 minutes
- 900 g (2 lb) potatoes (6 medium)
- 40 g (1½ oz) butter (3 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) good chicken stock (1¼ cups)
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) white wine (1¼ cups)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- You will also need 2 large frying pans/skillets and a medium-sized serving dish.
- Warm the serving dish in the oven.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into small chunks. Place in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer the potatoes until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pat dry the chicken breasts and season.
- Now divide the butter and oil between the two pans/skillets.
- Place one over a medium heat and, once the butter is foaming, add the chicken breasts and brown for 5 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook the chicken for about 15 minutes, until it is cooked through, turning once.
- Meanwhile, drain the potatoes when they are just tender and leave for a couple of minutes to dry out.
- Heat the oil and butter in the other pan and, once the butter is foaming, add the potatoes with the garlic. Turn to coat. Cook over a medium heat until the potatoes are golden and crisp on the outside, turning occasionally.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer it to the warm serving dish and keep warm in the oven. Add the potatoes and garlic once they are ready.
- Pour the chicken stock and wine into the pan the chicken was cooked in, and let it bubble over a high heat until reduced by half. Stir occasionally and scrape all the crispy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Pour over the chicken, potatoes, and garlic and serve immediately garnished with the parsley.
Updated: October 19, 2019