Fresh fruit tarts always say summer and these blackberry and cream cheese tartlets don’t disappoint. Sweet pastry tartlets have a creamy cheese filling and are topped with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry and Cream Cheese Tartlets
Prepares: 6 tartlets
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Chilling time: 1 to 2 hours
- For the sweet pastry
- 140g (5 oz) plain flour/cake and pastry flour (1 cup)
- pinch salt
- 28g (1 oz) caster sugar/white sugar (2 tbsp)
- 85g (3 oz) unsalted butter, diced (⅜ cup, or ¾ stick)
- 1 egg, large (U.K.)/extra large (N.A.), yolk only
- ½ tsp vanilla essence/extract, optional
- For the filling
- 250g (8 oz) cream cheese/Philadelphia (1 packet)
- 85g (3 oz) caster sugar/white sugar (½ cup less 1 tbsp)
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 3 tbsp double cream/whipping cream
- For the topping
- 170g (6 oz) blackberries
- icing sugar/powdered sugar to dust
- 6 tartlet tins
- For the pastry
- Put the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Whizz for a couple of seconds to mix. Add butter and whizz for a few seconds to blend. Then add egg yolk and vanilla essence/extract, if using, and process until the mixture starts to bind together. Remove from the processor, knead lightly, then wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and then cut rounds 3.8cm (1½ in) larger than the tartlet tin, re-rolling the pastry until there are six rounds. Line the tartlet tins, pressing the pastry gently down into the edges of the tins. Roll the rolling pin over the top of each tin to remove the excess pastry. Prick the base using the tines of a fork, to allow air trapped underneath to escape. Now chill again while the oven is heating up.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) (gas 5).
- Lay the tins on a baking sheet and cover with baking parchment. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes and then remove the baking parchment and cook for a further 2 minutes to crisp up.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before carefully removing the cases from the tins to completely cool on a wire rack. They will be very delicate until completely cold.
- For the filling
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest together until creamy and well blended. Add the cream and beat again until there is a light, soft mixture.
- Once the pastry cases are cold they can be filled. Divide the mixture equally between the cases using a small pallet knife to spread the mixture into the edges of the pastry and then smooth the top.
- To finish
- Divide the blackberries between the cases pressing them down a little into the filling. Cover the tartlets loosely with clingfilm and then chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, dust the icing sugar/powdered sugar over the top of the tarts using a small sieve.