This is a lovely smooth, thick vegetable soup. It’s quick to make and great for a winter’s day accompanied with soda bread.
Country Vegetable Soup
Prepares: 6 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 55g (2 oz) butter (¼ cup, or ½ stick)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 600ml (20 fl oz) good beef stock (2½ cups)
- 398ml (14 fl oz) tin/can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato purée/paste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- Chopped chives or celery leaves to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the vegetables and toss to coat with the butter. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the stock, and then add the tomatoes and tomato purée/paste. Season to taste. Now bring to the boil, cover the pan, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly and then purée in a blender.
- Pour into a clean saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes until piping hot.
- Check seasoning and serve garnished with chives or celery leaves.
Updated: October 1, 2018