A simple sauce is poured over the steaks to marinade for just 30 minutes. They are then quickly fried and served with the sauce drizzled over and accompanied with a selection of vegetables.
Steak aux légumes
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Marinading time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- For the steak
- 4 x 170g (6 oz) good quality steak
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- olive oil
- For the vegetables
- 675g (1lb 8 oz) baby or new potatoes (about 16)
- 1 small broccoli head
- 225g (8 oz) carrots (3 medium), sliced thinly into rounds
- 2 small courgettes/zucchini, cut into 1.25cm (½ inch) rounds
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a heavy-based frying pan/skillet for the steaks if not barbecuing
- a deep-sided frying pan/skillet with lid for the vegetables
- To serve
- baby or new potatoes and a medley of vegetables (for example, broccoli, mange tout, baby carrots, courgettes/zucchini)
- Lay the steaks, in a single layer, in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl add the next 5 ingredients and mix together. Pour over the steaks, cover the dish, and leave to marinade for 30 minutes, turning the steaks halfway through.
- Once the steaks have finished marinading, prepare the vegetables.
- Wash and cut the broccoli into small florets discarding any stems. Place in a bowl along with the sliced carrots and courgettes/zucchini. Pour over the olive oil and season, then stir through to coat the vegetables.
- Put four plates in the oven to warm.
- Wash the potatoes, place in a pan, cover with water, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15–20 minutes until tender.
- The steak can be barbecued or cooked in a heavy-based frying frying pan/skillet. If using a frying pan/skillet, first heat the pan and then brush with olive oil. Remove the steaks from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan to one of the warmed plates, cover the plate with foil, and leave the steaks to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steaks are cooking the vegetables can also be cooked. First, heat the deep sided frying pan/skillet, then toss in the vegetables and sauté over a medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Reduce the heat a little, add the lid, and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. Remove the lid, turn up the heat again, and cook for a further minute to crisp up the vegetables.
- While the steak is resting, stir the reserved marinade into the steak pan and, over a gentle heat, let it bubble to heat through. (If the steak was barbecued, once the vegetables have been cooked and removed from their pan, use this pan to heat through the marinade.)
- Serve the steak with the sauce poured over and the vegetables alongside.
Updated: September 25, 2017