These tasty nutmeg seasoned meatballs are cooked in a creamy, wholegrain mustard sauce and served with tagliatelle.
Lamb Meatballs in a Creamy Sauce
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 50 minutes
- Refrigeration time: 1 hour
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 450g (1 lb) lamb mince/ground lamb
- 2 eggs, medium (U.K.)/large (N.A.), beaten
- salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 28g (1 oz) butter (2 tbsp, or ¼ stick)
- 600ml (20 fl oz) chicken stock (2½ cups)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 300ml (10 fl oz) crème frâiche (1¼ cups)
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
- To serve
- Serve with tagliatelle and a green salad
- casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) (gas 4)
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into rough pieces. Place in a bowl and moisten with the milk. Mix with a fork to break up into crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix in the soaked breadcrumbs, onion, lamb, eggs, seasoning and nutmeg until throughly combined.
- Shape into 32 meatballs, using wet fingers. Just keep a small bowl of water nearby. (Fingers dipped in flour will just become sticky.) Chill the meatballs for 1 hour to firm up.
- Heat half the butter in a frying pan/skillet over a medium heat. When the butter is frothy and hot, add half the meatballs. Shake them in the pan to keep them moving and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Remove, using a slotted spoon, and transfer them to the casserole dish. Repeat with the remaining meatballs, adding extra butter if needed.
- Add the stock to the pan and scrape off any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Bring to the boil, then stir in the mustard. Pour over the meatballs, cover the dish and cook above the centre of the oven for 45 minutes.
- Mix the crème frâiche and cornflour/cornstarch together in a bowl, then stir into the casserole until well blended. Return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, uncovered, until bubbling. The sauce will become thick.
- Serve over tagliatelle.
Updated: November 14, 2017