These tasty little shepherd’s pies are made in a small gratin dish and are quick to prepare. The lamb is mixed with beans and a minted tomato sauce, and then covered with a creamy mash potato and topped with cheese and cherry tomatoes.
Individual Shepherd's Pie
Prepares: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 900g (2 lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into even-sized chunks (about 6 medium)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g (1 lb) lamb mince/ground lamb
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300ml (10 fl oz) lamb or beef stock (1¼ cups)
- 415g tin baked beans
- 2 tbsp tomato purée/tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tbsp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 × individual serving ovenproof dishes
- Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan/skillet, then add the lamb, and brown over a medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat a little and stir through the flour. Then add the stock, stirring until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Next stir in the baked beans, tomato purée/tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and mint. Season. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Divide between the dishes.
- Preheat the grill/broiler while finishing the pies.
- Drain the potatoes once they are tender, then mash, adding a good knob of butter and just enough milk to produce a creamy mash. Spread the mash evenly over the meat mixture.
- Place six tomato halves, cut sides up, on top of each pie, pressing them down a little into the mash.Then sprinkle the cheese over.
- Place under the grill/broiler and cook for about 6–8 minutes until golden and bubbling.